SEO is a hot topic these days, especially with the growing need to attract potential clients to your “storefront” so that you can build awareness of your services and products. Many photographers have a brick and mortar studio and many do not. No matter what your business model, it is crucial to market your business through many channels and keep on top of it.
One very important channel is website traffic. But how do you SEO your photography website to rank high in a web search and how do you know what potential clients are searching for?
Good Keyword Targeting
A bride or groom may be looking for a wedding photographer or they may simply be looking for wedding photo ideas. The key is to SEO your website so that it appears on the first page on any number of keywords that she/he may be searching under. Many times it might be “wedding photographer your city” where the location of your business defines the search, but often it may be something like “wedding photo ideas specific venue” where “specific venue” is a popular wedding venue in your area.
There are plenty of tools available that can help you to see what people are currently using as keywords when they search for services such as yours. The most obvious one is Google Autocomplete which is simply what Google does when you begin typing in a search – if you begin typing “fashion pho” it will give you suggestions of potential searches based on where you are located.
Using tools such as Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools can give you a better insight into how people are finding your website and which keywords are more popular than others.
Onsite SEO Tips
- Since your photography website is most likely image-heavy, make sure you give your images SEO-friendly names.
- Make sure your images have seo-friendly titles and alt tags. If you’re using WordPress for your website, you can do this easily from within the Media Library.
- Optimize your images for the web so that they are as small in file size as possible and therefore load fast. Search engines use the load speed of a website as a key factor in the website’s ranking.
- Use seo-friendly tags in your blog posts.
- Create hyperlinks within your text copy that either link to other parts of your website or other websites. The text used as the hyperlink should ideally be one of your targeted keywords.
- Social sharing. There are many WordPress plugins that allow you to add social sharing buttons to your blog posts, website pages and images. The more people who share your content, the more external links you will generate (see below for the value of inbound links). If you create content that others find valuable and “share-worthy”, they are more likely to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and a multitude of other social sharing sites. You already have photos, but make it a point to publish great videos, infographics, tips and expert advice – anything that someone is likely to pass on to others because it’s so useful, or funny, or inspiring…you get the gist!?
Here’ a useful article on using social media as a link-building tool.
Link-build! This is a biggie! Inbound links to your website, especially those from reputable, highly-ranked websites (also known as quality links), bump up your website’s ranking. If you can get other businesses to link to your website, that is ideal. You can also create listings in local directories with your website link, or you can write and publish articles on the web with a link pointing back to your website. The more good quality links you create, the more ‘value’ is assigned to your site and the higher your ranking in the search engine results pages.
Don’t be spammy
With search engine indexing algorithms constantly changing and evolving, it’s important to keep up with what Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. are looking for in a high-ranked website and what they frown upon. Recently, they have begun to look unfavorably at websites that self-promote to excess, post too many, spammy comments on other blogs, stuff their content with keywords to the detriment of providing good quality content and generally go crazy trying to pepper the web with links to themselves! This kind of activity can cause your website to be blacklisted from the search results and may cause more harm than good to your SEO campaign.
Photoidentities SEO Service
Of course, if you need SEO results and need them fast, we offer a tried-and-tested SEO service that will put into practice all of the above and more. Included in our service is keyword targeting, onsite SEO, link-building campaign, blog post writing (where necessary), blog commenting, article and press release-writing for building awareness, optimization of social media pages (Google+ , Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) and more.